Eventually Wednesday Arrives...

I had a fantastic day out on Wednesday, with 3 brand new ticks, I've been that busy going though the 400+ pics that I took on my day out and college work I have had no time to write this blog... But here it is eventually...
I started off at 9am parking up at Crossens and walking down to Sandgrounders in hope of getting a few pics. of the Sedge Warblers and Whitethroat, even though I waited for nearly 2 hours at different bramble patches the Sedgy proved elusive to photograph, although a flock of 7 Swift came swirling over head and a slightly more co-operative Whitethroat came and landed close by singing in a tree...
Swift
Whitethroat

Eventually reaching the hides almost 2 hours after I had set off, I had a brief look in Sandgrounders where nothing much was going on before heading off to Nells to see of the Little Stint and Curlew sandpiper where around, I got settled and started scanning around with instant results as Peregrine came soring over, sending the Blackwits in to histerics before stooping through the centre of the flock creating panic.

Peregrine Falcon


Black Tailed Godwits (Panicking)
As I sat there, my belly started to rumble "umm dinner time" I thought and I think the birds must of had the same idea, Peregrines chasing the Blackwits soon after a large female Spawk came cruising over taking specific interest in the house martins darting around and then unusually a large and what I can only presume was a very hungry GBB gull came soaring in and continued to chase a poor little Oyster Catcher in circles around the marsh
Sparrowhalk

GBB chasing Oyster Catcher

After this exciting start, thing started to settle down, all the raptors disappeared leaving me to try and scope out these little waders, I scoped, I scoped and I Scoped but nothing, no Ringed Plover, no Dunlin, not even a Redshank.... I sat there for an hour before I saw anything and then it all happened, "Zoom" 2 common sand came flying onto a nearby island with a single Ruff then a beautiful White Wag. came to join them...

Common Sandpiper

Ruff (sorry About the Pics)

White Wagtail (again Sorry about the pics)

Shortly after "flit" a Redshank appeared and then I noticed a small wader fly into the back of the marsh and there it was, the bird I'd been waiting for, a beautiful Curlew Sandpiper "Woo Hoo a First" showing fantastically between a small group of Backwits and a single Redshank:-

Curlew Sandpiper

As you can see in the 2nd and 3rd Pics you can see both Redshank and more importantly the fantastic Curlew Sandpiper.

As I wondered back, not much around so I decided to have a wonder around the sand plant were I picked up this beautiful male Wheatear who quite happily posed for about 30 second whilst I took a few snaps...

Wheatear

And Last but not least on the way home I stoped off at Martin Mere where I didn't see much, 3 Ring Plover, a Single Redshank and the usual wildfowl that you might expect, so at a last minuet decision I chose to have a walk down Curlew lane to see if the yellow Wags. had settled in yet. This is a bird that I can never remember seen although my Mum and Dad tell me that I saw 1 as a child so I class this next entry as a first,


Yes as you guessed I found them... Well after waiting 30min., I found a single Yellow Wag. on its own, the pic isn't anything to be desire but here my first every sighting and record shot of a Yellow Wagtail...

Yellow Wagtail

Yep... This is all I got of it but it but a massive smile on my face because I also caught up with a flock of Corn Bunting Whilst I was down there which accounted to another 2 new ticks for my life... Woooooooooooo hooooooooooo...

Anyway I hop that you like my blog and I hope that you will visit again;

Thanks always Lee Harrison.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by my first visit to your site, and with your overall enthusiasm. Thought you might be interested in visiting www.prestonsociety.co.uk, the website of the Preston Birdwatchers etc. We have 20 plus talks each winter, from which you'll learn a lot, fast! If you'd like to know more -contact me.
    All the best with your nature watching.
    Steve Halliwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hay thanks alot Steve, I'll give it a look when I have a sec. but it definatly sounds like something I'd be into...

    Thanks Again.

    ReplyDelete