Don't Make Me Laugh...

Hello again, I've bin busy over the last week so I've not had any time to update.... so here we go:-

Had a day out a Moore Nature Reserve yesterday, in hope of seeing what would have only been our second ever Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in Britain but unfortunately we didn't have any look there although we saw many other birds to keep us amused which included 4 Black Necked Grebes and a possible laughing gull.
Here's a few pics that I took on my way around:-

Whitethroat

Blackcap

For me, the highlight of the day, was seen these four beautiful Black Necked Grebes which was only the second time that we'd every seen them :-

Black Necked Grebe

Also on our way around, we came across this very conspicuous looking gull, after watching and clocking all its distinguishing features, I came to the conclusion that it was a laughing gull, so I went home and cross referenced my pics with others and checked all the details (dusty grey head that extended down the neck...dark wing feathers that stretched almost half way down its back... long slightly curved beak and dark features all along the back of the wings slightly bigger that a close by blacked gull) and I was sure woo hoo first rarity of the year.

Unidentified?

As you can see from these the pics don't really do justice to the description but I'll let you make your own mind up, others had mixed opinions but I guess I'll never know 100% although I was pretty sure...

On the way around, I decided to take a few snaps of butterflies n bus that I see as I'm trying to get more into them but I'm have some trouble identifying... but here they are:-

I like to call this one Very Ugly Fly

Common Blue

Painted Lady

Brimstone

Small Skipper

Small Copper

Any I hope that you like this blog and that you will visit again, if you have any opinions please let me know.

Thanks always Lee Harrison.

2 comments:

  1. I still think this is a Laughing Gull no matter what anyone else thinks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou... I was so confident when I saw it and made the ID, I was realy gutted when some others said it weren't,

    Sometimes a picture just can't do justic...

    Thanks again...

    ReplyDelete