So Snow Beautiful...


Well I had a day out on Friday and I decided a twitch was in order, I started the day early and headed over to Crosby Marina in some ungodly temperatures and despite what the Clock says, it was the morning. Crosby was a place I had never ventured to before, so on arrival I was full of anticipation and hope of seeing the Black Necked Grebe, that has been providing fantastic views very close to the edge for the past week or two, on seeing the lake all I could notice was the large covering of ice and snow that seem to be suffocating all life from the lake, on a closer look, here were two very small pockets of open water, holding a mainly Mallards and Coots with a few Tufies and Pochard mixed in but not sign of the Black Necked, around the lake small numbers of Snipe where roosting up, a few Meadow Pipits scurrying around for food and a single Stonechat flitting around, as I was scanning around three Goldeneye did a low fly by, providing a good photo opportunity...
From here I drove down to Ainsdale Beach in hope of seeing the two Snow Buntings that have returned for there winter residence, last year I spent many many freezing hours searching for these little beauties, thankfully this year proved to be a bit more successful; my first trip out for them and my first tick for 2010, there they were feeding ravenously along the tide line, I lied down in the snow on the high tide line and wait for them to come to me, they fed all the way along and came to within 4 feet of me before taking flight and feeding further down the beach, it was an amazing experience and something I will always remember, I hope you like the pics...

I think that this is my favourite picture, I don't think that it's the best but when looking at this picture, I get the feeling that the Bunting is staring off into the distance reminiscing about the day and I know that this picture will always remind me of the joy and pleasure that I felt this day whilst watching these two beautiful little birds...

After this I headed up-to Hesketh Out Marsh, to try and connect with the Bewick's that have been seen around but there was nothing to be seen when I got up there but nothing could break my spirit, so I headed down to Mere Sands Wood, there wasn't much around but a very ambient light coming through the trees, so I'll leave you with these three pics, I hope that you like them...
Well I really hope that you like this blog and that you will stop by again,

Thanks always Lee Harrison.

6 comments:

  1. Nice shots!! good job!!

    Frank
    http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Snow Bunting pics!

    I saw them many times when i used to live in NW England but they have turned into a real bogey species where I am now......

    Nice blog BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NIce Snow Bunting pics.

    I saw many of these when I used to live in NW England but where I am now I just can't seem to see any at all..........

    Great Blog BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them Lee, one of my favourite birds which you've captured beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee. Please could you send me your e-mail address. Would like if possible to use a couple of your pics in bird report. Thanks Pete PMrsh123@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello
    Wow those are really wonderful photographs and I have never seen such close photographs.Thank you very much for showing us these beautiful pictures.You have done a good job.


    cheap r4 dsi

    ReplyDelete